Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Letter "S"

As I filled out the paperwork for Classical Conversations, the last page was a "I understand ..." page, numbering several items that the parent needed to be absolutely aware of entering the program -- CC is a supplement to homeschooling, tuition is non-refundable, I will stay on premises during the sessions, etc. -- with a place for my signature.

Then, the student section:

As STUDENTS we recognize the privilege to participate and enjoy the weekly program meetings. We commit ourselves to the following:

1. Appropriately participating in class.

2. Respecting our Tutor/Director in words and actions.

3. Working on weekly program work to the best of my ability.

4. Honoring my peers and other students in the program in words and in actions.

Student’s signature(s)

_______________________________________________________________


Time to tell Monkey1 about school.

So far I had not directly explained to her about the Wait List or our other efforts on behalf of her education for kindergarten. She's probably aware of it because other people ask, and I answer.

Here's how what I said to Monkey1:
In kindergarten you get a lunchbox because you stay at school for lunch.
(Beaming excitement over the lunchbox.)
You also get your own desk.
(Not so excited, but a nod that she is listening.)
Now, there are A LOT of children that want to be in the kindergarten class [at the church we attend], and the teachers are having trouble fitting all the desks in the classroom.
(Nod again, forehead furrowed.)
So while the teachers are trying to figure out how to fit your desk into the classroom, we will do another school called Classical Conversations. You will learn things. We will do homework together. And when your desk fits into the kindergarten classroom, you will know things, just like all the other kids know things.
(Nod.) "Mommy, I'm afraid of kindergarten."

So we talked about the things she would learn.

Kindergarten is different from preschool. There were no individual desks in Monkey1's preschool classroom. There was one table that served for "meetings" with the teacher, when one-on-one work was done, and then there were a few long tables where the children all ate their snacks and did art projects. There were bins of toys. She already knows that kindergartners wear uniforms, sit at desks, stay all day, and have no toys in their classroom.
Seven hours away from Mom and sister, five days a week. That is a lot to swallow. I've hung around too many homeschoolers to simply accept this as a mandatory part of life for a five-year-old. Later on, maybe. Now? Undecided. Not convinced.

I explained that at Classical Conversations, Mom has to come too and learn too, and help with the homework. And whenever she moves into the classroom at the Catholic school, she will be with some of her friends, playmates she has had since we moved to this area four years ago.

So we read over the part she needed to sign. That is, I read it, and I rephrased each line to make sure she understood, and she wanted to sign her name. Her WHOLE NAME. She got frustrated with the S in our last name, writing it as a 3. So we worked on the letter "S" on another sheet of paper for a bit and then completed her name on the form.

See, we doing it already.

No comments: