Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cakes

So instead of blogging, or sewing princess costumes, or paying bills, or doing laundry, I've been baking.

Gasp!

The fall festival fundraiser for Monkey1's school involves a bake sale, among other things, so I baked four beehive cakes (see pictures here) and one giant cookie cake (see pictures here). I've had the beehive mold for maybe a year and a half, though the cookie was a new addition for my kitchen, just for this occasion. I'm really pleased with how it looks and can't wait to try it again.

These cakes truly were made from scratch. About a month ago I looked up how to make "Amish Friendship Bread" starter, since that works really well with the beehive cake mold. So attached to each cake there was a little story: "This cake was started 28 days ago with flour, sugar and milk, was let rest to grow into a starter batter, fed, slowly stirred, and was made into two cakes and two cups of more starter batter which yielded eight more cakes. Enjoy!"

When we stopped by the festival this morning, an hour after opening, all the beehive cakes were gone, which means I'll probably make them again next year.

No comments: