Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Even Frogs Wear Pink

Effort #1 towards putting Monkey1 in Frogs: finding a pool where we can have family swim time outside swimming lessons. This way, she can still have dedicated water time with Dad.

I toured two exercise clubs with Monkey2 in tow. The pool was the reason for looking at these particular two, though I wanted to be aware of the other offerings because I need to get moving too, once my feet are feeling better.

At the first place, right away we were shown the nursery/children's play area, and Monkey2 decided to stay there. She basically scaled the gate and then climbed up on the roof of the plastic playhouse. When I returned -- after gazing at the miles and miles of shiny exercise equipment, noticing that the life guard was looking everywhere but at the pool, and inspecting the locker rooms -- she was staring at a popular clownfish movie. She happily returned to me, and I was grateful Monkey1 had not been present for this. The scary beginning would have sent her into a tailspin.

At the second place, the pool was in sight from the check-in desk. "We forgot our bathing suits!" Monkey2 told me. The nursery was the size of a walk-in closet. The exercise machines were clumped together with a more community feel, and the pool was available for parent & child play almost all club hours, except for Saturday morning during club swimming lessons.

During lunch, I mentioned to Monkey1 that Monkey2 and I had looked at swimming pools, so that we could have swim time outside of swimming lessons.

She burst into tears. "I don't want to be a Frog!" she cried, tears rolling down her checks.

I was a bit surprised, and a little bit reminded of her terror at the prospect of preschool. I dropped the subject, but when I mentioned it later to my husband, he thought she was afraid of turning into a frog. No princess wants to turn into a frog!

Effort #2 towards putting Monkey1 in Frogs: pink goggles. Long ago, last summer, when Monkey1 was begging for swimming goggles, my husband promised pink goggles when she started swimming lessons without him. He had reminded her of this on Saturday, when her teacher recommended the next level.

According to package tracking, the goggles were to arrive tomorrow. Instead, I got the knock on the door and package drop right after supper today. So as soon as her teeth were brushed, Monkey1 put on her pink bathing suit and the pink goggles, ready to try them out in the bathtub. They worked. She was able to open her eyes underwater and look at Monkey2's toes, and they protected her eyes from shampoo bubbles as I rinsed her hair. She was very excited and even said that she wanted to be a Frog.

Crossing my fingers now, Tuesday, because Frog Day isn't until Saturday.

No comments: