Thursday, March 11, 2010

Psychology of Rings

Tuesday night, my husband and I entrusted his parents with the Monkeys for supper and bedtime so we could attend a Dropkick Murphys concert. The last time we were out together was... July 2008 for a Dropkick Murphys concert. They need to tour through this area more often!

During my preparations for the evening out, I decided that wearing my rings on a string around my neck was probably not a good idea, so I boiled them to a sparkle, slathered up my hands with lotion, and wore them on my finger. I happily fidgeted with them all evening.

Whenever I wear my wedding and engagement rings for extended periods, I get a rash on my finger. So I had tried not wearing my rings at all. I had tried wearing them on the other hand. I had tried washing my rings with soap frequently. I had tried sanitizing them with rubbing alcohol. I had tried boiling my rings every morning before I put them on.

Someone suggested I get a different style of ring, ignoring the fact that one of the rings is my wedding band. A different ring wouldn't be the right one!

Another person agreed with me that not wearing the rings was freeing in the wrong way. She had also found that when ringless she tended to forget about her spouse and think and act as if she was the only parent and had to do everything.

Finally, I showed my finger to a dermatologist, and he said I wasn't allergic to the metal (whew!), but I was washing my hands so frequently that my skin was getting irritated by the soap, metal, and dampness. I use a different kind of "soap" and try to apply lotion frequently, but winter and hand washing and kids... so I wear the rings on a string around my neck. I don't know how many times Monkey2 has bashed her head against the sharp corners of the engagement ring, and every once in awhile I have to extract the rings from her mouth. Then I really want to boil them!

I tried wearing the rings again today, but the daily routines involving kitchen and food and messes simply had the rings itching my finger again. Reluctantly I laced them back on the string around my neck.

When's the next occasion I won't have my hands in the sink?

No comments: