Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Other Shoe

Yesterday at preschool pick-up, a friend handed me a sparkly pink ballet flat. "Isn't this...?"

"Monkey1's shoe!"

It was the shoe she had lost last summer, appearing as plainly as it had disappeared mysteriously. How can a shoe remain hidden in a nearly empty house constantly turned upside-down by dozen of little children every week for a year?

My little Cinderella saw the returned shoe in my hand and was excited beyond my expectations. She could not wait to get home and put on the matching shoe, removing her sneaker in the car and squishing her one-year-bigger-foot into the missing shoe.

I unwisely told the truth, "I think I threw out the other one. At the end of the summer, when you got your school shoes, this one was still missing..."

She howled in protest. How could I throw out her favorite shoe?


No comments: