The idea was to clear the under-the-front-window mess of growth and to plant flowers that will bloom at different heights and different times of the summer. This was not my idea. However, a few months ago I did trim the bushes nearly to the roots, and they have lots of lovely flowers all over them this week.
To achieve ground clearing, first a sifter screen was built. Then the ground attacked with a spade, and in some places a pickax. Then the dirt was piled on the screen and shaken through it. The roots were discarded and the fine dirt left in piles, ready for planting.
The Monkeys LOVED the piles of dirt. Monkey1 hid plastic Easter eggs in them. And jumped in them. And rested her cheek on them like a pillow. I caught Monkey2 trying to cart some off in a pink plastic shovel.
I did find things besides roots and rocks. Mostly glass. One piece had a Pepsi-Cola logo on it, but the script was different, very flowing and scrolly, similar to what Coca-Cola uses these days. A little research later revealed this was a pre-1973 logo. I wonder if this will be as interesting two hundred years from now as digging up a post-Revolutionary War kitchen garden these days.
Trash is trash, unless it's really old.
No comments:
Post a Comment