Sunday, October 17, 2010

Family Bike Ride

"Let's go for a bike ride!" said Dad.

"Yeah!" said all members of his girl parade.

"Where should we go?" he asked.

"The bike highway!" said Monkey1, referring to the walking, running, and biking path not far from our house that connects to all sorts of places.

"Yes, but where do we go once we get to the bike highway?" he persisted.

He just got a new bike. It's white, I can lift it with one hand, and please don't ask me anything else about it. It has two wheels; it's a bicycle!

"I think you'll go somewhere, turn around and meet me, and I'll follow you home," I remarked. I couldn't keep pace with him when he was on his old mountain bike, so I knew I'd never keep up with his new wheels.

Last summer when we went for family bike rides, Dad had Monkey1 on a trail-a-bike third wheel attached behind him, and I had Monkey2 in a child seat behind me. However, mid-summer this year we put training wheels on Monkey2's little bike, so now she refuses to have anything to do with the child seat. A family bike ride means someone has to walk beside Monkey2 on her bike.

...

Just got a call from Dad. Monkey1 is tired of biking, so I have to go rescue her with the car. He assures me that he wants to ride his bike home.

I wonder what next summer will bring.

No comments: