Monkey2 dropped something on the floor of the car on our way to school, so when we arrived, I got out, yanked my seat forward, and Monkey2 crawled around on the gravel and crumb encrusted floor mat. She found the minute item, and we all went in to school.
Returning to my car, I squeezed myself into the driver seat, managed to grab the under-seat lever for adjusting its distance to the steering wheel, and ... the seat slid smoothly all the way back. ALL the way back, to the end of its track, so the driver's seat was nearly touching the back seat. Puzzled, I slid the seat forward, and then back, ALL the way back again. Usually there are catch spots, or click spots, where the seat stops, so the driver's seat can be adjusted to different distances from the steering wheel and pedals, according to the height and comfort of the driver. What happened? All the catch points were gone!
While my long leggedness meant I could still reach the gas and brake pedals, it meant the passenger directly behind me, Monkey2 in her car seat this case, would have zero leg room! (And no, moving the car seat over to the middle spot is not an option in the Golf -- not with Monkey1's car seat also in the back seat.)
I called my husband.
"Maybe something is stuck on the track," he suggested.
"I can't get down there and look! It'll take me a half hour to get up again!"
He laughed, "No, don't you do it; you're like a turtle."
Hopefully he meant like a turtle flipped over on its back having difficulty getting righted. My basketball belly certainly makes navigating certain positions more challenging.
Of course, by the end of the day, when he sat in the car and slid the seat forward and backward, it acted completely normally, and he was able to get the seat back in the right spot.
Really, little Golf? You're already playing tricks on me with the alarm that goes off for no reason at 2 a.m.
And the self-locking doors once I'm turning the ignition, causing the alarm to go off.
And the rattle in the rear hatch that ominously reminds me of two summers ago when the latch broke and the rear hatch door had to be disassembled from inside the car in order to be fixed.
Please, just hold out a little longer!
No comments:
Post a Comment