Thursday, April 5, 2012

Breaking Start

Easter Break started at noon today.

Brought the Monkeys home from school for lunch, and since Monkey2 ate everything in her Easter bag in the car on the way home -- goldfish crackers tied up in a bag to look like a carrot, a couple chocolate coins, and jelly beans (well, she did share some of the jelly beans with Monkey1) -- she did not eat lunch. Her excuse was that the peanut butter sandwich had jelly in it. She abhors jelly, jam, whatever it is that goes on the other slice of a peanut butter sandwich. Someone had made an error, spread strawberry jam on the bread, and then caught and corrected by Monkey1, the jam was scraped off and covered over with peanut butter.

Apparently not well enough. Super sharp Monkey2 saw a dot of red -- jam -- and howled. So I covered the plate, put it in the fridge, and told her she could have it for snack or supper. More howling. Monkey1 finished her sandwich, jam is not her issue, and ran off to play, so Monkey2 followed.

Soon however, more howling. Monkey2 got upset that Monkey1 was not including Anna -- the fabulous Anna, who lives in Costa Rica on the beach, who has done and seen and knows just about everything -- in the game. Monkey2's upsetness escalated to the point where she declared, "I'm never playing with you again! Not today, not tomorrow, not Easter!"

This actually made Monkey1 cry. Weeping, she protested, "I didn't know Anna was in the house!"

Common mistake. I usually only know Anna is in the house because I see Monkey2 open the front door and welcome her friend in. Not that I SEE Anna, but I see the door open for her.

The Monkeys patched things up, verbally apologizing to each other and both writing a "sorry" postcard to each other.

And Monkey3? Why she slept through all the uproar -- sandwich howls to postcards.

No comments: