A long time ago, as in several years ago, I saw a really nice diaper changing pad. Really -- I never was much for shoe or purse collecting anyway. It was a big circle, had pockets for diapers, wipes, creams, etc., and folded up into neat little square. The possessor of said changing pad was a bit embarrassed about it; apparently it was the IT item in baby boutiques, rather pricey, and bestowed upon her by single siblings who did not need to save up change for a week to buy an iced coffee. I was intrigued by the design: round, so better for the inevitable rolling-away-from-the-diaper stage.
More recently, as I am now back to diapers, I thought of this again, looked up the price, and decided to try to make one instead. In the fabric store I found marine grade fabric, for boat seats I think, in great colors:
More recently, as I am now back to diapers, I thought of this again, looked up the price, and decided to try to make one instead. In the fabric store I found marine grade fabric, for boat seats I think, in great colors:
I drew and cut my circles:

and tried crescent moon shapes for pockets, rather than the patented item's ring around the edge pocket design.

Later I cut a circle of fleece to provide padding between the plastic surfaces, and I had trouble sewing the layers together. The plastic coated "marine grade" material stretched and wrinkled oddly. Sewing around a circle, I hit all directions of stretch and non-stretch.
And the project sat for awhile.
Then I decided it needed to be done and off my sewing machine. And when Mommy does a sewing project during the day, the Monkeys want to do their own, simultaneously. Monkey1 was at school, and Monkey2 decided she wanted to make a flower, like this:

Monkey3 looks so calm; that was right before she started yelling. Monkey2 needed some help sewing anyway.

I had to wait until evening to finish the binding edge. And then Monkey3 got to try out the Lilly Pad in the morning.











No comments:
Post a Comment