Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Back to Washing Diapers

The underpants lasted a half and a day.

Monkey2 wanted her diapers back. She had quite a case of performance anxiety on the afternoon of the whole day, and two large accidents, so I'm not exactly anxious to push her on this step.

At one point with Monkey1 I looked at the library for potty training books; faced with an entire shelf of books, I chose the slimmest volume. Chapter after chapter, it said, "You can try this... but it won't work if he's not ready.... You could try this... but it won't work if she's not ready." And people pay money for this advice? Good thing I use the library!

Also long ago, I had heard from a mother, who had asked a friend and mother of six or eight kids how she did it. The answer was she let her kids BEG for underpants. That sounded really easy on mom, and just my style -- since I'm willing to put up with diapers (having the cloth ones helps), and I consider preschool optional.
I'll admit, Monkey1 had a 10-minute screaming fit when I identified her as "ready," but a few hours later she was quite proud of being diaperless. Sure there were accidents, but both of us were in a ready mental state to deal with them. Well, most of the time.

So the "Princess" training pants are in the drawer, where Monkey2 can contemplate or ignore them, ready for when she's ready to try again.

No comments: