Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yeah, that was My Kid

Today was worse.

I ended up hauling a screaming and kicking Monkey1 out to the car barefoot. It was about 20 degrees outside.

Once she was strapped into her carseat, I told her that she had school today, or we would not play with certain friends tomorrow, and I told her to think about that on the way to school. I hated to lay things out that way, but it was the only thing I could think of. She had been looking forward to the Friday playdate all week. Each morning she asked, "What's today?" and I'd tell her, and she'd say, "And then comes Tuesday, and Wednesday, and Thursday, and THEN FRIDAY!"

Monkey2 wailed at the idea of no playdate. Otherwise, it was a quiet drive to school.

In the school parking lot, I handed Monkey1 her socks and shoes, which she put on her cold feet. She refused her leggings.

I had a choice of taking her directly to the second dose of flu shot clinic or delivering her to her classroom and letting the school personnel escort her to and from the shot. I took her to the flu shot. It took me and two nurses to get it done and the band-aid on her arm. She refused the lollypop but then loudly had second thoughts about that once we were out of the room; fortunately Monkey2 had taken two off the table. With the commotion of the hysterical 4-1/2-year-old, no one had paid much attention to the 2-1/2-year-old's heist.

We walked down the hall to the school office, signed in late, and despite usual procedure, I was allowed to walk her to her classroom.

I don't know if Monkey1 will ever want to go to school again.

No comments: