Friday, January 13, 2012

Making Minis

Yes, I can still make Banana Bread. Even more amazing, even with my pregnancy brain, I still remember the recipe.

I was on tap for the Daisy Scouts' snack this week, so I opted for making banana bread mini muffins. Finding the mini muffin papers to line the pan took several minutes of serious digging in the baking aisle, but I found three packages and bought them all. Made the batter. Contemplated how to get the batter out of my six quart KitchenAid mixer bowl into the tiny muffin cups. I rarely make regular size muffins with banana bread because pouring and aiming is difficult. I decided to try using the frosting/pastry bag to control the batter. Filling that flimsy bag proved to be an operation requiring four hands; fortunately I was able to substitute with a few clothes pins and a large glass to hold the bag open while I coaxed the batter into it. However, perfectly squirting the batter through the largest frosting nozzle into the mini muffin papers lining the baking tin made up for the aggravation, at least until I had to refill the pastry bag. Two dozen cute little muffins, plus three regular sized ones, were the yield.

Monkey1 had complained, "Why can't we have cupcakes?" when I had proposed the mini muffins over breakfast, to which I answered, "Because the Daisy meeting is just before supper," so to sweeten the deal, I put one chocolate chip on top of each muffin. Twenty minutes in the oven, put the lot in a shoes box with a lid, and delivered them to the school office labeled with the leaders' names.

Only a half dozen came home, so I guess they were popular.

I made more mini muffins later in the week, just for us, but instead of fooling with the pastry bag, I lined a small pitcher with a gallon size ziplock bag, poured in the batter, squeezed out the air, zipped the bag closed, snipped off one corner, and dealt with the whole batch of batter much more efficiently.


No comments: