We did a trial run of early drop off and extended day for Monkey2. This means there will be one school drop off in the morning, the grade school and preschool do not start at the same time, and one afternoon pick-up. Monkey2 enjoyed it, and my husband knows where to go and about signing her in and out, and how much travel time to allot for getting to and from school and work. (Wouldn't you know... new baby and a new position at work all in the same month.)
I took advantage of my 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. kidless day to get my hair done, because with with a new baby, that goes down to priority zero. Actually, a negative number.
Last time I had my hair colored was last summer, four days before confirmation of pregnancy. A high school classmate, who first colored my hair twenty years ago, is a professional now, and it was a treat to catch up with her while she worked on my tresses. Good thing I did it then! Hair coloring and salon chemicals fall into one of those nebulous "you can do it/no one knows if it matters" categories of pregnancy do's and don'ts, and I haven't had a thing done to my hair since. But a little TLC mommy day before the arrival of a new baby is a nice perk if possible. I know I did it before Monkey1, had a hair cut. I remember having a pedicure with another mom friend before Monkey2; both of us had our two-year-old daughters sitting on our laps. So, this time I had my color evened out -- the "roots" were half my head -- and the stylist did some lovely tumbly curls with the iron. I have to figure out how to do that easily at home!
One day there was no school last week, a teacher work day, so the Monkeys and I went over to the nearest mall photography studio for big belly pictures. I had done this on a whim with Monkey1, right before we found out that Monkey2 was breech. Once that had been said, everything became a blur... she was delivered by C-section less than two weeks later... and my husband and I came to really appreciate having those sweet pictures of nine-months-pregnant mommy and her oldest child before our world completely changed.
So we wanted to do that again. Getting two Monkeys with very individual fashion sense into non-clashing outfits and hair brushed was quite a project. No tears were shed. The photographer was great too, took over a hundred images, which the girls and I quickly scanned through, selecting a dozen good ones, and I narrowed it to four to purchase. Three of the three of us, belly prominent, and one delightful one of the two Monkeys hugging each other. And the secret of keeping this reasonable is to order single sheets of the prints, not packages. These pictures are for us, not everybody else in the family.
The pictures will be ready after five o'clock Wednesday, which means I probably won't be able to get them until Thursday, or later... I wonder if I'll still be pregnant once I see them.
No comments:
Post a Comment