Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Threads that Lead Us

(I began writing this at the end of January, four weeks into our Bradley Method natural child birth classes, and as my husband and I began exploring the idea of home birth.)

How did we get here, to interview a home birth midwife?

Was it the epidural that removed all sensations of labor and made my left leg numb?
Was it the C-section?
Was it the "low blood sugar" baby that was withheld from me for hours and fed formula against our instructions?
Was it the homeschool preschool group I socialized with for a year, full of intelligent, well-educated parents who had had home births?
Was it the example of a fellow La Leche League member, marathon runner, and natural child birth instructor, who I got to know through my church's mothers' prayer group?
Was it the "Trial of Labor" info sheet that detailed all the risks of VBAC and none of the risks of a repeat Cesarean?
Was it the doctors' attitude that sure I could try a VBAC, as long I was perfectly completely safe, stuck in a labor bed with a fetal monitor attached to me for the entire labor?
Was it the sight of the hospital surgical theater?

Was it related to our experience with the public school losing some of our registration paperwork within ten minutes of hand-delivering it, which caused my husband to declare, "She's not going there! Ten minutes! How long before they lose my kid? We're homeschooling!"

Dare to question, dare to dream, and see if you too land outside the institutional box.

No comments: