The midwife who helped with Monkey3's arrival recently forwarded a New York Times article to all her mamas, adding "Who knew?" The headline proclaimed Midwife becomes status symbol for the hip. The article notes that the well heeled, or red-bottom shoe trendsetters, of NYC are seeking midwives as part of increasing interest in holistic medicine and natural/organic trends.
This elicited giggles from the lot of us. Not too long ago I had said something to my husband about "cloth diapering, babywearing, homebirthers," meaning crunchy hippie-types. Of course as soon I said it, I thought, "Oops, I'm in that crowd."
Or am I? When word started to get around the school playground that Monkey3 had been a planned homebirth, I noticed interesting reactions, not to the birth, but to me as a person. Homebirthers are hippies, all-organics, don't vaccinate their children, and probably unschooler homeschoolers, right? Except I don't look like that kind of person.
So am I among the red-bottom shoe trendsetters? I have shoes with red bottoms. Oh wait, those are crocs.
2 comments:
Red bottomed shoes... Hmm.... mus be in your crocs crowd because I had no idea that they made shoes with red bottoms. It's interesting to watch people's reactions. I had a similar experience the other day talking to a woman I've been friendly with for a bunch of years. She had no idea I was a Republican and was shocked. Funny.
The red bottoms are black high heels with red soles -- pretty flashy. If Carrie Bradshaw was still tripping around the City, she'd have or covet a pair. Crocs are pretty much the antithesis of red-bottom shoes.
Post a Comment