Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Crumbs from the Mommy Brain



Today is the first full day of school for Monkeys1&2. They started last week, plaid jumpers and new backpacks. Monkey1 was so proud of her wheelie bag (specifically stated in the school handbook as not allowed for kindergarten and first grade), though I fail to see the advantage of wheels since second graders have to climb a flight of stairs to get to their classroom. She thinks she's so cool. 
Monkey2 actually has Monkey1's former pack, but like all good 'Bean bags, it looks new even after two years, so we chose some cute appliqués off Etsy, making the bag new for her and different from all the other pink packs hanging in the kindergarten coat closet. She loves it without suffering hand-me down shame.

About a week before school started, we took a walk to the library. Monkey2 wanted to bike, so I told her she needed to wear something over her knees, thinking she would put on a pair of jeans. Instead she put tights under her shorts: red Christmas tights with a Scottie dog silhouette on the ankle, under her purple tie-dye shorts.
I thought, "My days are going to be a little less colorful when she goes to school." 
Not to worry. After school one day she put on a ballet leotard and tutu plus knee-highs with fluorescent rainbow stripes. Plus she chooses the outfits for Monkey3. One day it was a flowered shirt, butterfly skirt, and ice cream cone printed pants. 

August did not seem as blisteringly hot this year. Perhaps that is because we spent more time at the pool. Monkey1 came up with a way to get in some Quidditch practice in the water, using a pool noodle instead of a broomstick. Monkey2 gained in dog paddle distance, being able to swim across three lane lines by the end of the summer. Monkey3 simply hung out in the water wrap, often snoozing despite the general rowdiness going on around her. And I got a tan line, from the wrap criss-crossing my back and not my bathsuit shoulder straps, but a tan line none the less. 

And now 1&2 are at school, car line drop off at 8 a.m., and it was just me and Monkey3... and the intermittent noise of power tools as our screen porch started going up today. I don't know how this is possible considering the water in the bottom of the holes for the footings, but there seems to be a lot going on out in my driveway -- where the lumber was dumped -- and in the back yard. I keep peeking out the windows. I don't want to appear meddlesome, but I love seeing structures grow. I'll have a better chance to observe when the Monkeys get home from school; I suspect they will camp out on the outside kitchen door landing, safely out of the way but with a view of half the yard, with their snack.

I think I have a half hour left of my quieter day. Monkey3 is sleeping on my back, ear planted to hear my heartbeat more than the power tools, and I guess I'd better deal with the breakfast dishes.

No comments: