Monday, August 31, 2009

First Fish

After a week of practicing, dropping their weighted fishing lines off the kitchen deck, Monkey1 and Monkey2 got to go fishing for real on Saturday. There were six adults and four kids. All the kids had poles and hooks, and the dads had bait duties, two moms got to fish, and one mom had a video camera (that's me). The fishing spot was a neighbor's pond. The bait was hot dogs. The fish were very hungry. Very.

Monkey1 had just dropped in her line, and something was tugging. "I got a fish! I got a fish! I got a fish!" she shrieked, "HOORAY FOR ME!" -- the audio was overdriven like never before -- later playback revealed a truly awesome rattle in the sound.

I think Monkey1 caught four fish. All catch and release.

Monkey2 caught a fish. Rather, it was her fishing rod, and the grown-up who had set it up for her tried to pass it into her hands, but then a fish was tugging, and I'm surprised she did not fall off the dock into the pond watching it surface. And then she was jumping, trying to grab the fish dangling on the line, "My fish! My fish!" She wanted to hug it at least and more probably snuggle and kiss it. The fish managed to unhook itself and splashed back into the pond. Monkey2 leaned over the water, moaning, "Ohhhh..." but did not topple in.

The Monkeys are hooked. Hooray for us!


No comments: