Thursday, July 23, 2009

Flour

"Where does my mom keep the flour?" My sister-in-law was on the phone, visiting her father while her mother was off traveling, and wanting a key ingredient for breakfast.

I let my mind rummage through the familiar over-stuffed cupboards and drawers, where the onions are under the neatly folded plastic grocery store bags, the cheese grater is with the extra kitchen towels, and the marshmallows are on top of the macaroni. Behind the waffle iron? Next to the crackers and vitamins? No... I thought of the refrigerator, where one crisper drawer is full of beer and the other full of chocolate, where there are 15 different kinds of mustard but probably no ketchup.

"The freezer," I said.

"Really?"

"Really."

I could hear rummaging.

"No..."

"It'll be a bag about 1/4 full, rolled up small..."

"Found it!"

For an early morning emergency, that wasn't bad.

No comments: