We waited, and waited, and waited. The Monkeys were enjoying the toys they only see once a week, and usually have to share with other children, but it was disappointing. Monkey1 had brought several princess dress-up costumes. I was hungry for some adult interaction, and I started feeling very sorry for myself.
I determined that if no one came by 10:30 we'd go find something else to do. In the meantime, I'd pray. I said one decade of the rosary. Then another. Then another. On the fourth I think I lost count and said twice as many Hail Marys. And another decade. Then I felt better. What the priest said on Sunday is true. We need to pray just like we need to eat, drink, and rest.
We started to move some of the toys back into the house, and someone came, and then and someone else. Another girl Monkey1's age, and they played princess. Two boys within six months of Monkey2's age, and they all played kitchen and chase. And the moms sat and talked about vaccines, single-sex schools, boys' 'kill' playing, second-hand stores, how nap time works, ... Maybe I should have asked those moms to pray with me too.
Putting away the toys and heading home was so much nicer. We weren't disappointed and defeated; we were filled up, happy, and the Monkeys had lollypops from the office for the return of the Rosary house key.
No comments:
Post a Comment