Monday, July 27, 2009

Weekly Books

Went to the library this morning, turning in twenty books (17 picture books, 2 graphic novels, and 1 Tiara Club series book). We chose another twenty. That's what fits in my canvas grocery bag. Library card limit is 50 items checked out at a time.

We met someone we knew, who came away with two books. Two books! Two! Is this frugality or stinginess? Do people really not read? Or do they just not know what to read?

I pick a shelf and start reading titles and pulling books out. The Monkeys do so as well, and I'm teaching them to put the books we don't take home back in the "purple cart", the place for books that need to be re-shelved. Monkey1 likes girly things: pink, princesses, ballerinas, dolls, fairy tales, pirates, and graphic novels. Monkey2 likes: animals, especially chickens. Each week I try to get one book about going to school, because Monkey1 will be starting in the fall and is mostly in denial ("I'm too little," "I want to stay home with Mommy" etc). Plus I look for nice pictures or stories that don't necessarily fit into any of the preferred categories so we get a variety. Just like food -- although Monkey2 would prefer to eat goldfish crackers all day, I make sure she eats other things too.

Before each library visit we pick the favorites to put on our summer books-read list. At the library we are given a sticker for each book, which goes on their reading chart, and after 40 books there will be a prize. The librarian's instructions to write down one book per day on the list must mean there are other families like ours. Another week and a half, and we'll meet the goal and keep going. Keep reading. Forever and ever amen.

No comments: